Abbott and Costello Meet The Mummy

Taken from a blog where I wrote about horror movies.
Yes, there will be Mummies, factual and fictional.

Watched Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy for the first time in years and... hmmm.  It was enjoyable enough.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when I watched it last- five or six years ago- mostly because I've rewatched The Mummy's Hand several times in the interim and the idea of two Americans in Egypt (A&C here and Steve Banning (Dick Foran) and Babe Jensen (Wallace Ford) in TMH), down on their luck, enmeshed in an adventure that takes them to a lost tomb where they have to contend with a Mummy and the head of an ancient cult... well it kind of wore out with me.

Fortunately, it had A&C hijinks and the comedy made up for what I'd seen before, including some sufficiently silly parts I had to rewind to watch again- including a bit where the femme fatale is trying to seduce Lou by giving him all her contact information.

Also, the wonderfully disconcerting presence of  Richard Deacon as Semu, the high priest of the Mummy cult.  He's best known as Mel Cooley from the Dick Van Dyke Show.  Yes, him, playing an Egyptian priest.

All in all, it's a good rainy day movie, not necessarily part of a Mummy marathon, but definitely part of an A&C double or triple bill.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freesources

Let's Go Shopping!

Mummy Movie Monday 11: The Curse of King Tut's Tomb